Go Back   Cat Chat at Hubbell Bubbell > Hubbell Social Section > Book of Spells
Anglopets Gallery Cat Planet Vet UK
User Name
Password

Book of Spells Curl up on the sofa and join the Hubbell Bubbell book group.... Want to talk about Films or Television.. feel free to do it here....

Old 13-11-2017, 09:22 AM
Humble Cat Servant
Imperial

Default Howards End

I was looking forwards to this as I've enjoyed the book and film (not least because Sam West played Leonard Bast in) and it was fine - I'm always up for a little Edwardian enjoyment, but was a bit wary of how they might adapt it so, I was ready for the inclusivity count - and managed 7 people of colour, but no one disabled (unless you count Tibby's hay fever) and, as yet, no one of LGBT persuasion although there are still 3 episodes to go. In the book the Schlegel family are 1/2 German, which I think was as far as Forster went with inclusivity, but the past has to be re-written these days so as not to offend anyone and you have to expect it but I can put up with it for the reward of some nice costume and lovely settings

Howards End is Vann House near Godalming http://www.vanngarden.co.uk/ - which is an Arts & Crafts house with a Gertude Jekyll gardens that I wasn't aware of and it's within driving distance and the gardens are open in the summer, so that's one to see in 2018.
Old 13-11-2017, 10:30 AM
Miserable Old Boot
Imperial

I'm not watching this, although 'Howard's End' is a favourite book of mine - I'm fed up to the back teeth with the BBC's relentless political correctness agenda!
Old 13-11-2017, 11:20 AM
Imperial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucia View Post
I'm not watching this, although 'Howard's End' is a favourite book of mine - I'm fed up to the back teeth with the BBC's relentless political correctness agenda!
I didn't bother for the same reason Chris.

Old 13-11-2017, 11:58 AM
Humble Cat Servant
Imperial

I don't know why, but I think everything just went to pot with the advent of the new millennium

Never mind, I've no complaints about the acting, the costumes, street scenes and sets and at least it isn't weird and nasty 'history' on another planet stuff like the unwatchable Ripper Street and Peaky Blinders .....
Old 13-11-2017, 01:16 PM
Grand Premier

Started to watch it once our visitors left - but unfortunately tiredness took over!
I will catch up on it before next week!
Old 04-12-2017, 09:24 AM
Humble Cat Servant
Imperial

Well, it's ended and it was alright but it did show up all the faults in E M Forster's writing - like the fact that his characters don't act like humans - the way Mr Wilcox having built a financial empire just crumbles into nothing, and Leonard Bast - well he's supposed to be a kind of lost soul searching for learning and beauty in a depressingly poverty stricken life, but in this he just came across as utterly creepy and you simply couldn't imaging Helen ever wanting to have sex with him or he have the energy to do it!

I felt I was just watching a load of actors I know dressing up and having a bit of a wander around. I only stuck with it for all the lovely Edwardian Arts and Crafts interiors and to get a glimpse of Vann House.

Merchant Ivory did all these types of books so much better.