Go Back   Cat Chat at Hubbell Bubbell > Hubbell Social Section > Book of Spells
Anglopets Gallery Cat Planet Vet UK
User Name
Password

Book of Spells Curl up on the sofa and join the Hubbell Bubbell book group.... Want to talk about Films or Television.. feel free to do it here....

Old 29-04-2019, 04:07 PM
Imperial

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicey View Post
Haha, yes Giant's milk Linda. Apparently he killed a Giant when he was 10 and then jumped into bed with the Giant's wife and suckled at her teat!!!!

I haven't seen last nights episode yet.... I am NOT looking forward to it.... almost too scared to watch!
The child had 'issues' then???? 😹

I NEED to know what's occurring!! Although I have never seen it, now as it thunders toward the end, I'm intrigued!

Old 29-04-2019, 09:18 PM
Oscar & Freddie's slave! :) :)
Imperial

Well, I have just watched it... I am currently on my second double gin and I had to pause it several times to go into kitchen and take deep breaths and I burst into tears on several occasions... Chris, I will leave the write up to you as you do it so amazingly well.... but just so you know, I was on the edge of my seat the whole way through!!!! And I did not see the ending coming at all!! I actually jumped up out of my seat when that bit happened... I won't give anything away, promise!!

Deep breaths Andrea, deep breaths.... off to drink rest of my gin and juice and calm my beating heart!!!!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com- Please click this link at least once a day to feed the animals
- it doesn't cost a thing!

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this."

Old 29-04-2019, 09:54 PM
Imperial

Quote:
Well, I have just watched it... I am currently on my second double gin and I had to pause it several times to go into kitchen and take deep breaths and I burst into tears on several occasions... Chris, I will leave the write up to you as you do it so amazingly well.... but just so you know, I was on the edge of my seat the whole way through!!!! And I did not see the ending coming at all!! I actually jumped up out of my seat when that bit happened... I won't give anything away, promise!!

Deep breaths Andrea, deep breaths.... off to drink rest of my gin and juice and calm my beating heart!!!!
AAAAARRRRRRRGGGHHHH!! What is occurring???!!!

Old 29-04-2019, 10:10 PM
Imperial

I think Chris is going to keep you in suspense Linda until tomorrow!!

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com- Please click this link at least once a day to feed the animals

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this."

Old 29-04-2019, 10:22 PM
Imperial

Quote:
I think Chris is going to keep you in suspense Linda until tomorrow!!
No fair!!!!

Old 30-04-2019, 11:19 AM
Miserable Old Boot
Imperial

God's teeth - I've seen some cinematic battles in my time, but that one takes the breath clean out of you - as the Telegraph leader writer observed, it was like the Somme but with zombies!

Gordon's (other gin manufacturers are available) must be clapping their hands as, like Andrea, I had to resort to a measure (or five) of the good stuff to calm my shattered nerves as the long night wore on.

There's no way on earth, unless I write it as a novelette, that I can possibly fit in all that happened, so excuse any glaring omissions while I glide, like a dragon, over the highlights.

Firstly, if you're planning any kind of battle, do not involve Jon Snow or Barbie the U in the planning - despite that wicked blighter Melisandre (the Red Woman) turning up and setting all of the Dothraki swords alight, it seemed to me that it wasn't the best idea ever to send your entire cavalry , as well as Jorah Mormont and Ghost, into the gathering darkness as the first wave of attack.

It was heartbreaking as the lights of the swords went out one by one and the first terrified horses and remnants of the fighters fled back to the tenuous safety of Winterfell.

All of our favourite fighters were lined up on the battlements looking more than a bit tense - someone gave Samwell Tarly a dragonglass dagger - they'd have been better off giving him a sedative and sending him off the crypt with the others considered 'useless' for fighting. Tyrion was there - he wasn't happy about it, and, as he pointed out, he has been in battles before, but he was still shunted off with Varys, Sansa, Gilly and various non-speaking extras.

We didn't have long to wait for the dead to turn up - up to now they've shambled everywhere, but showing a surprising turn of speed for beings composed mostly of bits and pieces of bone and flesh, they streamed rapidly out of the darkness, countless thousands of them, packed as densely as ants fleeing a massive, disturbed colony.

And so it began - and the fighting was intense and relentless, Brienne saved Jaime and Jaime saved her again and again, Arya saved the Hound and vice versa many times, Dolorous Edd saved Sam and died because of his altruistic act, they fought and fought but the dead raged on until eventually, Jon and Barbie, who'd been gliding around on dragons above it all, woke up and started doing a bit of carpet bombing!

They were nearly too late, mind you, they hardly have a brain cell between them and they'd been thwarted by a mysterious battle fog which rolled in and stopped them seeing what was going on below. The trench between the dead and the living that they were supposed to light up was eventually set ablaze by a spell from Melisandre - it took her some time though - as one reviewer pointed out, she was a bit like a Zippo with a busted flint!

The trench fire didn't seem to last long and although the dragons had glided off above it, what was going on below was wholesale slaughter - no matter how many of the army of the dead were cut down or thrown from the walls, more kept on coming. I lost count of the times Sam was saved, although he did manage to stab a couple of zombies, sobbing with terror all the time.

Brienne, Jaime, the Hound, Beric Dondarrion, Jorah Mormont, Lady Lyanna and Arya fought like demons, Gendry swung his war-hammer in a way that would have made his father King Robert proud and Bran sat in the godswood, guarded by Theon Greyjoy and communed with ravens. I did have a tearful moment when Bran told Theon that he was 'home'.

So much, so much was happening - the battle went on, now in Winterfell itself after the walls and gate had been breached, Beric Dondarrion fell, and in one of my saddest moments, as an undead giant burst through the gate, little Lady Mormont, as brave as a lion, rushed at him with an axe. He grabbed her, lifted her up and crushed her to death, but with her last breath and ounce of strength, she stabbed him through the eye and killed him. Lyanna, you were magnificent and will be sorely missed.

As if things weren't bad enough, as the more bookish of the dead stalked Arya in the Winterfell library, the Night King turned up on Viserion, had a quick blue-fire blast at his brothers and started laying waste to what remained standing, which by now wasn't much.

There was a dragon fight - Jon and the Night King fell off their dragons, Jon started fighting the dead and the NK strolled off. Rhaegal seemed to consider he'd done enough and soared off somewhere safer, hopefully to join Ghost who hadn't been seen since the first cavalry charge!

On and on the Night King strolled, pausing only to receive a lengthy fiery blast from Drogon and walk away unharmed, he revived all of the dead apart from those killed by dragonglass, so his army were now composed of what had been the Winterfell defenders, he strode inexorably (and very slowly) toward the godswood and Bran.

The Hound spoke for us all as he pointed out that it was 'f-ing useless, we can't beat them', Viserion found Jon and prepared to ice him and the Night King, flanked by his generals, bore down on Bran as Theon shot fire-arrow after fire-arrow to no avail until he was brought down by a spear.

The Night King raised his sword - and suddenly - out of nowhere leapt my beloved Arya. He grabbed her by the neck, strangling her, she dropped her Valeryian steel dagger, caught it with her left hand and stabbed him through what remained of his heart.

I yelled in triumph as he exploded into a millions shards of ice, in the same instant poor Viserion, his generals and his entire army fell, properly dead at last.

At that point, I had my third stiff G&T - so - who's alive?

Arya, Bran, Jon, Barbie, Sansa, Tyrion, Varys, Gilly, Sam, Ser Davos, Jaime, Brienne, the Hound, Gendry.

Who's dead?
The Night King, Dolorous Edd, Beric Dondarrion, Lyanna Mormont, Jorah Mormont, Viserion, all the Dothraki, almost all of the Unsullied and zillions of non-speaking extras.

Not sure about - Ghost, Rhaegal, Podric - Melisandre - I know, I know she walked out into the snow and took off her necklace (quick, Chris, grab it) aged 200 years and collapsed, but you never know with her!

Heavens above - it took me longer to write that than the episode and I'm sure I've missed tons out, but it's the best I can do.

Can't wait for next week - regroup and off to King's Landing - look out, Cersei - here we come, and I hope by then someone has paid the electricity bill and we actually get to see all of the action!

"A cat purring on your lap is more healing than any drug in the world, as the vibrations you receiving are of pure love and contentment."

St. Francis of Assisi
Old 30-04-2019, 11:33 AM
Imperial

As The Hound said...F*****g HELL!!!

That was brilliant Chris!!!

And somewhere on the lappy, yesterday morning, someone was saying the battle scene was - dare I say it - BORING!! No it most certainly wasn't!

Old 30-04-2019, 12:16 PM
Imperial

Well done Chris!! Excellent write up of an extremely tense, emotional and bloody glorious episode. When Arya got grabbed by the neck of the Night King and dropped her dagger I almost expired until she grabbed it with her lower free hand and stabbed him in the heart!! I jumped off the sofa pumping my fists in the air!! I LOVE ARYA!!!!

I believe Melisandre is definitely done for by the way. She wanted to put right a LOT of wrongs before going by the looks of it and I suppose in a way she did as it was her last words to Arya that saved the day. Melisandre said “What do we say to the God of Death?” and Arya replies “Not today,” before running off to kill the Night King with the late Littlefinger’s Valyrian steel blade.

I REALLY hope Podric is okay!! I think he will be though. I have a feeling. When Tyrion grabbed hold of Sansa's hand in the Crypt as the dead charged towards them, that made me cry!!! I thought that was it for Tyrion for a split second!!!

Now I wonder what Cercei has up her sleeve! Hopefully the huge dragon slaying weapon she has at her disposal (which is shown in the credits at the beginning) doesn't get used, that's all I'm saying!! I think Ghost and the other two dragons will be okay, I have a feeling about them too (fingers crossed!!!).

Old 30-04-2019, 12:22 PM
Imperial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcatlady View Post
As The Hound said...F*****g HELL!!!
Yep, the Hound was stood stock still not fighting (basically giving up) and after he said it was "f-ing useless, we can't beat them" someone, I think it was Ser Davos, pointed out to him Arya who was battling fearlessly on the roof and said "can you try and tell that to her then?" The Hound looked up and when he saw Arya was in danger he got a grip of himself and went after her.

Last edited by spicey : 30-04-2019 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:09 AM
Miserable Old Boot
Imperial

I don’t really know how I feel about this episode and I admit in advance that I’ve only skimmed the surface of it and teased out the points which annoyed me the most. I’ve watched it twice – because I worried that the first time I was just tired and feeling a bit glum, but my first impressions wouldn’t shift and there isn’t a word to describe the mixture of anger, disappointment and frustration I felt while watching it.

The anger stems mostly from the witless behaviour of Jon Snow – never was a truer word spoken than those uttered by Ygritte so long ago now – he knew nothing then and he’s learned nothing since, apart from his true heritage which he seemingly is prepared to keep secret so that he can continue shagging his aunt and slipping seamlessly into Jorah the Stalker mode by obediently obeying her every whim, no matter how bizarre.
If that is so, he shouldn’t have told his sisters/cousins – Sansa’s eyes narrowed (when did I start to love Sansa) and Arya (I’ve always loved Arya) glowered daggers at him through her one good eye and her astonishing black eye. I don’t know if Arya told anyone, but Sansa sped off and told Tyrion who told Varys who looked thoughtful. Varys looking thoughtful isn’t good for anyone – if only his frenemy Littlefinger was still alive what havoc they could have wreaked.

Mind you, when you have Barbie in charge, you don’t really need anyone else to wreak havoc – having opened the bidding and increased the feeling of unease at the beginning of the victory feast by accusing Gendry of his father’s crimes against her in a tone which implied that incineration was on the cards, she then did her trademark simper and pronounced him Lord Gendry Baratheon of Storm’s End. Gendry looked bewildered – I don’t suppose he even knows where Storm’s End is, Sansa heroically resisted the temptation to roll her eyes, and Tyrion and Jon gazed at Barbie worshipfully! Garrgh!

Lots of other bits made me angry – the decision to march a decimated and injured army to the next battle being only one of them – maybe she should have asked King Harald what happens when you force march exhausted men from the Battle of Stamford Bridge to Hastings?

Needless to say, she didn’t march with them – no, no – she loaded all the key players bar Jon Snow onto ships bound for King’s Landing and ‘guarded’ the fleet by sailing along above them, simpering serenely.
Let me ask a question – if you were guarding a fleet while riding a fire-breathing dragon and accompanied by its brother, wouldn’t you have flown high, circling and watching out for danger below, to the side of, and behind you?

You would have? So would I – then I’d have been ready when the pop-eyed pirate showed up, laughing in evil villain pantomime mode and shooting dragon-killing spears with the rapidity of a sub-machine gun. Wouldn’t it then have been easy to swoop down behind them – the trebuchets were all front loaders – and blow the lot of them out of the water?
Not for Queen Peanut-brain – she did what she always does, looked faintly agonised when Rhaegal was shot down and sped away on Drogon to save herself and left the rest of them to drown or be captured.

Oh, enough of the anger and frustration – the disappointment came from the broken hearts scattered around – Gendry when he proposed to Arya and was turned down, Ghost when Jon gave him to Thormund and left him without a backward glance or a goodbye hug, Thormund when Brienne left the feast and Jaime followed her – and Brienne, oh yes, most definitely Brienne.

I’ve wanted them together since Series 2, but now I believe that old adage ‘be careful what you wish for’ because after an awkward love/bed scene, he more or less told her that he’d only ever loved Cersei and left her – and she sobbed and I sobbed because she gave her good and noble self to – Oh – I can’t think of a word bad enough for him!

Some reviewers think that he left her to go and kill Cersei, and didn’t tell her because he didn’t want her to follow him into danger – me – I’ll believe it when I see it.

Speaking of Cersei, she’s now as mad as a box of frogs, just like Barbie, and has now implied that the baby she claims to be expecting is the pop-eyed pirate’s – the list of potential fathers grows long.

The sight of her and Barbie, accompanied by half of her exhausted army, demanding each other’s surrender was ludicrous, as was the summary execution of Missandei (who?) who was captured by ol’ Pop-eye during the sea slaughter to make a point.

By that time I just wanted it to end so I could answer a call of nature!

Overall, the good points:-
Arya and the Hound are riding together again.
Sansa is worth ten of all the other so-called leaders
Varys still has a functioning brain.

Bad points:-
An appalling cameo by the previously amusing and witty Bronn who has become a crossbow wielding foul-mouthed lunatic since we last saw him.
Rhaegal and Ghost summarily got rid of, presumably to save on the CGI.
Not one person has addressed Sam as ‘Lord Tarly’ – not because he isn’t, because the producers have simply forgotten.
Tyrion has either had a lobotomy or the spirit of that fool Jorah has entered into him and caused his sheep like adoration of Barbie the Unburnt. And to think that I once thought him the cleverest person in Westeros.

Will I keep watching – yes – because it’s like watching a train crash – you don’t want to but you can’t look away!

"A cat purring on your lap is more healing than any drug in the world, as the vibrations you receiving are of pure love and contentment."

St. Francis of Assisi

Last edited by Lucia : 30-05-2019 at 09:54 AM.