Go Back   Cat Chat at Hubbell Bubbell > Hubbell Social Section > Book of Spells
Anglopets Gallery Cat Planet Vet UK
User Name
Password

Book of Spells Curl up on the sofa and join the Hubbell Bubbell book group.... Want to talk about Films or Television.. feel free to do it here....

Old 17-04-2019, 11:01 AM
Miserable Old Boot
Imperial

Two years of waiting - it was almost too long for me, and I felt my heart sink at the sight of Barbie the Unborn, wearing fur and her trademark smug smirk and realised that she has morphed from just 'getting on my nerves' to 'can't stand the sight of her'!

Fortunately, this feeling seems to be shared by Sansa, Arya, Lady Mormont, the Lords of the Vale, Samwell Tarly and the silent, sullen Northerners in the Great Hall who will no doubt be ordered to 'bend the knee' at the earliest opportunity.

Wasn't it Tywin Lannister who told Joffrey that anyone who has to continually say 'I am the king (or queen)' really isn't?

Crashing on, there were lots of reunions, many of them as frosty as the snows surrounding Winterfell - Arya and Jon being a notable exception - there was real warmth in the embrace which vanished almost immediately when the little assassin told 'Know Nothing' that if push came to shove she'd support Sansa!

Theon rescued Yara who promptly headbutted him - I'd have done the same, girl - and that fool Cersei slept with the pop-eyed pirate, fortunately off screen, and sent Bron off to Winterfell to kill Tyrion and Jaime. As if - nobody in their right mind would kill Tyrion and Bron might have to get in line to kill Jaime, who managed, somehow, to survive the 10,000 volt death-look he got from Brandon Stark, who, we will recall, he threw out of a window in the first episode ever.

Jon Snow, former King in the North, finally revealed his true Targaryan ancestry by riding a dragon - yes, it was good, so why did I keep thinking of Harry Potter's first ride on a broomstick?

In other news, Thormund, Beric Dondarrrion, Dolorous Ed, the Hound and Gendry are still with us!

I loved Samwell's reaction to Barbie's complacent account of killing his father and brother - he's a terrific actor - and also loved the gobsmacked expression on Jon Snow's face as he realised he's been shagging his auntie! I'm willing to lay bets he swears Sam to secrecy and doesn't tell anybody!

Did I love it - not as much as I thought I would - I've never liked B the U and now that she seems to be calling all the shots, even the darling dragons can't make her bearable and I'm sort of starting to side with the Night King!

And another thing - where's Ghost - and Brienne!

"A cat purring on your lap is more healing than any drug in the world, as the vibrations you receiving are of pure love and contentment."

St. Francis of Assisi
Old 17-04-2019, 06:14 PM
UK Grand Champion

I loved the write up Chris, though I'm disappointed for you that you didn't enjoy it as much as you hoped. I watched the first episode, it's the others I gave up on and would much rather read your synopsis- far more interesting IMHO.
Old 17-04-2019, 08:18 PM
Imperial

Oh Chris. All of that waiting with baited breath only to discover that the script writers aren't up to it!

I haven't seen my GoT customers yet, but I'll see if they feel the same.

Still loved the write though! Maybe you should have done the final series!

I truly hope that it improves.

Old 22-04-2019, 10:35 AM
Miserable Old Boot
Imperial

Okay - so I absolutely love it again, so, so much!

I'm in shreds and wringing out my hankie - no spoilers here apart from pointing out that nobody died - more later or tomorrow - whenever I find my sensible head!

"A cat purring on your lap is more healing than any drug in the world, as the vibrations you receiving are of pure love and contentment."

St. Francis of Assisi
Old 22-04-2019, 11:57 AM
Imperial

I am wondering what has occurred?!

Old 22-04-2019, 08:21 PM
Oscar & Freddie's slave! :) :)
Imperial

Chris! I felt exactly the same about last weeks and this weeks was bloody fabulous!!!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com- Please click this link at least once a day to feed the animals
- it doesn't cost a thing!

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this."

Old 22-04-2019, 09:12 PM
Imperial

Aaaarrrrgh! Will SOMEBODY tell me what happened!!!!

Old 23-04-2019, 10:48 AM
Miserable Old Boot
Imperial

I think this might be one of my favourite episodes ever - a time of reunions before the Day of Doom for the North, some of which were so poignant they made me cry.

It was lovely and awful all at the same time, a day of frantic preparations by characters, many of whom are favourites I just know will perish next week in the battle with the Night King's army.

One who I fear won't perish and will be there, boring us rigid until the bitter end - Barbie the Unburnt - stood out like a beacon of wooden acting.

So who turned up?

Jaime Lannister, no longer the golden lion and sporting a hairstyle similar to one of the Three Stooges, but still handsome enough for Brienne to stand up and vouch for when Barbie wanted to execute him. I was pleased that she was instantly backed up by Sansa - I've warmed to Sansa this series, mostly because of the thinly-veiled contempt she has for Barbie. Mind you, I was more than a bit surprised when Theon Greyjoy turned up and she - Sansa - greeted him so warmly, what's she up to?

Podrick Payne - improved beyond belief by a decent haircut and revealing a previously hidden talent for singing beautiful, wistful songs.

Thormund, the Hound and Beric Dondarion - Thormund still googly-eyed over Brienne and an absolute scream with his tall tales and barbaric habits.

Dolorous Edd - the scene on top of the Winterfell battlements with him, Jon Snow and Samwell Tarly, the last of the Brothers of the Night Watch, was funny and heartbreaking.

Arya and the Hound - also funny and heartbreaking - he had the funniest line of the night when Beric turned up to have a drink with them and he grumbled, 'It's like being at a f-king wedding!'

Ser Davos - such a great actor - and the little girl with the scarred face - I just knew that he was thinking of Princess Shireen.

Gendry and Arya - well - if you knew you were likely to be killed tomorrow and you were still a maiden, wouldn't you have wanted to spend the night with such a strapping lad?

It was all lovely apart from Barbie, the uneasy calm before the storm - the tender moments between the survivors-so-far, perhaps the most tender scene, for me, was when my mega-favourites - Tyrion, Varys, Podrick, Brienne, Davos, Thormund and Jaime were sitting around the fire in the Great Hall, drinking and talking.

Somehow the talk came around to 'knights', Thormund saying (as a compliment) that if he were a King he would knight Brienne 'ten times over' and Jaime stepping in to say that any knight could make a knight.

Then he did and it was beautiful and she's now Ser Brienne, Knight of the Seven Kingdoms and I cried like a fool because she loves him so much, but that sort of concludes her arc and I fear for her.

Drying my eyes and crashing on, Lady Mormont tore Jorah the Explorer a new one, Lord Tarly (well, he is, isn't he?) inexplicably gave J the E the Tarly family sword to cheer him up and Aegon Targaryan, formerly Jon Snow, told his lover/auntie who he really
was.

She wasn't thrilled - and no, it wasn't the incestuous aspect - it was the anger that he was actually the last male Targaryan and rightful King. At that point the horns sounded to signal the approach of the Army of the Dead - she gave him a funny look before they dashed off to leap on their dragons!

Let's all hope he's impervious to dragon fire, eh?

Rats - this was going to be short and it isn't and I've only skimmed what happened and left tons out - next week's episode will be 80 minutes long and I fear that all I'll be writing after it is a tearstained list of the dead!

On a lighter note, while discussing this yesterday with the senior nephew, he did point out that he's slept with me - which is true - he was three years old at the time. He's well named 'Michael' - he certainly likes taking it!

St. Francis of Assisi
Old 23-04-2019, 02:51 PM
Imperial

'Ere, I thought you said short?!! I will read this tome later, on as Jools puts it, the big screen!

Old 23-04-2019, 09:51 PM
Imperial

Bloomin' 'eck, that was a busy episode.

What's Sansa up to... nowt short of wanting to get her leg over methinks!!

NOBODY is impervious to dragon breath!

I really do hope that Sky will allow GoT to be viewed on another channel - some obscure one on Freeview will do me fine!

Barbie the Unburnt is driving me nuts... she isn't very nice is she?