Go Back   Cat Chat at Hubbell Bubbell > Hubbell Social Section > Book of Spells
Anglopets Gallery Cat Planet Vet UK
User Name
Password

Book of Spells Curl up on the sofa and join the Hubbell Bubbell book group.... Want to talk about Films or Television.. feel free to do it here....

Old 21-08-2017, 08:50 PM
Oscar & Freddie's slave! :) :)
Imperial

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I am crying!!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com- Please click this link at least once a day to feed the animals
- it doesn't cost a thing!

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this."

Old 22-08-2017, 12:32 AM
Imperial

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicey View Post
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I am crying!!
I'm intrigued!

Old 22-08-2017, 10:02 AM
Imperial

I think our Chris is too emotionally stricken to post!

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com- Please click this link at least once a day to feed the animals

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this."

Old 22-08-2017, 10:44 AM
Miserable Old Boot
Imperial

Well - * dabbing eyes and wringing out third hankie* - adieu poor Viserion - owned by a ninny and killed by the Night King while trying to rescue an eejit from what would probably have been his just reward for embarking on such a doomed and barmy quest!

As possibly the prettiest of the dragons, his seemed a pointless life, particularly those years spent chained up and locked in an underground dungeon in Mereen along with his brother Rhaegal as punishment for incinerating a couple of goats and the odd child.

What was he supposed to do for amusement when flying free - he's a bliddy dragon - a fact which seemed to elude the less than razor sharp mind of Barbie the Unburnt!

Never mind - one can only hope that his resurrection and new career as an Ice Dragon proves to be more enjoyable - gods, old and new, it's difficult to know how it could possibly be worse!

In terms of spectacle, this episode was absolutely spine-chillingly astounding - splendid photography, astonishing CGI, brilliant fighting - but in terms of plot, old GRR must have been hurling stuff at the telly while effing and blinding like a trouper!

I mean, in what universe does it seem a good idea to sally forth into the icy wilderness with what remains of the best of the supporting characters to try to select just one of the walking dead from an army of hundreds and thousands?

And why would you? Cersei isn't going to be impressed - she knows all about the walking dead, has everyone forgotten Sir Gregor 'Mountain' Clegane, resurrected by Qyburn and always at her side.

Oh right - that was Tyrion's idea, - yes, Tyrion - the latest in a long line of really stupid strategic ideas issuing from the brain of a character once famed for his commonsense and perspicacity!

*sigh*

Crashing on, there were some great conversations amongst the Magnificent Seven as they strode through the icy wastes, Thormund and the Hound were a hoot, Gendry got teased for 'whinging', and Jon the Gormless tried to cement his role as noble hero by offering Longclaw, the Mormont Valeryian steel sword back to Ser Jorah.

Ygritte never spoke truer words when, so long ago now, she summed Jon Snow/Stark/Targaryan up with the phrase, "You know nothing, Jon Snow!" Four series later and he still knows nowt!

Back beyond the Wall, they plodded on, bickering amusingly, through bitter cold, blizzards and a sudden attack by a undead polar bear which saw off a couple of the non-speaking extras and had a good chew at Thoros of Meer before being slain - an event he seemed to find most amusing! (insert gobsmacked emoji)

Did they turn back? Not a chance - by that time what passed for their brains must have frozen solid, so on they went, serendipitously coming across a smallish party of trudging wights led by a White Walker.

Possibly longing for a fight to warm them all up a bit, they heroically attacked, losing another non-speaking extra or so before Jon slew the White Walker with Longclaw, whereupon, all of the wights but one disintegrated.

Well, that's handy to know, isn't it, gentle reader - all they need to do is kill the White Walkers and the entire colossal army of the dead will be no more.

Right, we learned something important, so let's go home, have a hot bath and a few goblets of mulled wine - oh wait - they're wasting time capturing the remaining wight which seems to be livid at the thought of being taken into custody and by the time they have it safely in the bag, all of its undead buddies have turned up.

Cue sending Gendry racing off back to Eastwatch in the manner of Forrest Gump - run, Gendry, run - with a garbled message, followed by a desperate flight across a frozen lake, pursued by the multitude of wights, who, although most of them seemed composed of disparate bits and pieces, apparently weigh enough to break the ice and fall in, leaving our heroes surrounded and marooned on a tiny island.

Would they freeze to death as the icy lake refroze? No, not they - poor Thoros kindly died of his wounds and the cold, so they could light him up and make a nice fire - and if the Hound hadn't tried to introduce the wights to the game of curling, they might have remained there safely until Barbie and the dragons got there to incinerate all and sundry.

Instead, the wights, brain-dead, but not nearly as thick as our heroes, realised that the ice would hold them and attacked - they nearly got poor Thormund, and all seemed lost until we heard that familiar, heartwarming roar from Drogon.

Hooray - deus ex dragons - Drogon landed on the tiny island while his brothers annihilated vast swathes of the undead, and all of the heroes save one, plus wriggling wight, climbed aboard.

No prizes for guessing who, with his usual boneheaded idiocy, decided to stay and fight - yes - it was our Jon, charging forth to slay the Night King alone as he approached, ice javelin in hand, to spear Drogon.

Only he didn't - thanks to Jon's idiotic charge and Barbie's equally idiotic decision to wait for him, the Night King spotted Viserion headed right for him, and, displaying a previously unknown aptitude for Olympic level javelin throwing, hurled it at the poor sweet creature.

Astonished, Jon was overwhelmed by a score of so of wights and disappeared under the ice into the usual 200 feet of ice-cold water, and Barbie, wearing a new, agonised expression, flew off with Drogon and the rest of the less-merry than when they started out band!

Despite being encumbered by several hundredweights of fur and clinging on wights, Jon fought his way back to the surface, dragged himself out of the ice and turned to face his doom.

Did anyone else think that this would have been an ideal time for Rhaegal, his dragon namesake, to swoop down, scoop him up and bear him away?

Come on, get real this is the new GoT - so who should come galloping through the zillions of wights, but Uncle Benjen, whirling his blazing flail, intent on giving up his horse to save Jon Snow!

Cheerio, Benjen - we hardly knew ya!

This is too long - way too long - in summary - I am fed up to the back teeth with the Arya and Sansa saga - unless this turns out to be a plot between the sisters to trap Baelish, D&D have done something I didn't think possible, I now dislike Arya almost as much as I dislike Sansa - although that dynamic could change if Brienne gets killed because of being sent off to King's Landing by the Ginger Sulk!

As the only person on the planet who isn't longing for Jon and Barbie to fall in 'lurve', I am totally p*ssed off at him figuratively 'bending the knee' and calling her 'my Queen' - and if the show is going to increasingly become 'The Ballad of Jon and Barbie', my resolve to watch it to the bitter end is starting to waver.

Last episode next week - goodness - those weeks have flown by quicker than ravens can fly thousands of miles across Westeros!

Our watch is almost over!

PS: Where the hell is Ghost?

Last edited by Lucia : 22-08-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old 22-08-2017, 06:15 PM
UK Grand Champion

They got all that into one episode? I'd have cried at Viserion''s death and based on everything else you describe my subsequent brain overload. I'd rather read your writeup's much more Ange friendly xx
Old 23-08-2017, 09:53 AM
Miserable Old Boot
Imperial

Good heavens, Ang - that was just the headlines!

There was tons more going on which I left out due to lack of time and space, not to mention cramp in hands from typing!
Old 23-08-2017, 11:06 AM
Imperial

Sansa and Arya saga is also driving me demented, unless as you say, they realise what Little Finger is up to and are just lulling him into a false sense of security, but somehow I doubt it!

Barbie the Unburnt and Jon Snow... give me a minute while I push my fingers down my throat to make me throw up!

Ghost not being around is probably due to all the CGI budget being taken up with the slaying of dragons! I am looking forward to seeing Viserion again as an ice dragon though, that could be interesting!

I too was asking the same questions about the 7 going off into the ice wilds!! What a bliddy stupid quest that was! And as for Jon Snow getting out of the icy water alive and making it all the way back to the wall, well, I don't think he would have survived a couple of minutes in that water, let alone get out and make it all the way back!!

And wasn't that raven the fastest on the planet to be able to get to Barbie the Unburnt and for her to then get over the wall with her dragons to save them all in time?!!!

Was it just me or did anyone else think that Barbie didn't seem that bothered when she saw Viserion die??!! Considering it's her 'child' she could have showed at least a little more emotion!

Anyway, next week is going to be an extra long episode apparently (over 80 minutes) so I'm looking forward to the Grand Finale!! I bet they'll leave it on a massive cliff hanger and make us wait months and months!!

Old 23-08-2017, 04:49 PM
Miserable Old Boot
Imperial

Andrea - that was her sad and bereaved expression - I know, I know - it was exactly the same one as when she doesn't get her own way, but the Barbie lovers are out in force on other forums, yammering about how emotional she was when Viserion fell!

Blimey - I've shown more emotion than that after breaking a nail!

Anyway, I, like you, hope that Viserion has a wonderful time being an Ice Dragon - I expect the first thing on his list is demolishing the Wall, although whether he breathes fire or ice is debatable.

I'm so looking forward to 80 minutes next week - we might have a good moan about the enormous plot holes and enjoy a skit about it when it's over, but when it's actually on the telly I'm there - and I'm 100% fan girl! :

P.S. Graham is sure that the ravens are the mobile phones of Westeros - far quicker than BT, EE, Orange and everyone else, they flash through the skies at the speed of light - almost as quickly as dragons fly from Dragonstone to beyond the Wall!
Old 23-08-2017, 05:30 PM
Imperial

Haha!! Indeed, they must be bliddy quick!!!

Yes, her bereaved expression didn't hold much emotion but that's just her all over really!

I was wondering if Viserion will be breathing ice or fire now but I guess it will be some blue flames (i.e. white hot flames) maybe??

I was literally on the edge of my seat and shaking when I was watching it Chris, 100% fan girl when it's on too... just when it finishes and I have time to think about it, that's when I start to pick holes!

Old 23-08-2017, 09:25 PM
Imperial

Blimey!! Gobsmacked of Winslow here - that was one hell of an episode and I didn't even see it!!

Will the Viserion survive being an Ice Dragon?

One of my customers is an avid fan too - he said he also got upset at the demise of the dragon.