Go Back   Cat Chat at Hubbell Bubbell > Hubbell Social Section > Book of Spells
Anglopets Gallery Cat Planet Vet UK
User Name
Password

Book of Spells Curl up on the sofa and join the Hubbell Bubbell book group.... Want to talk about Films or Television.. feel free to do it here....

Old 31-07-2017, 12:08 PM
Imperial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucia View Post
#sobbinguncontrollably

More tomorrow - or Wednesday if I'm still too upset to write the review until then!

Have a box of tissues ready, Andrea!
Big Hug...

Old 01-08-2017, 10:46 AM
Miserable Old Boot
Imperial

Okay – it’s official – I hate Jaime Lannister!

I started off disliking him in Season 1, grew fond of him in Season 3 thanks to Brienne, felt unsure about my feelings up to now – but – I’ll never forgive him – ever - for forcing perhaps the only true Great Lady of Westeros to drink poison.

The marvellous, matchless Queen of Thorns – Olenna Tyrell - is dead, murdered by a Lannister at the behest of that vicious cow Cersei, leaving Tyrion the only Lannister I have any time for at all.

Even as she prepared herself to die, she had one last thorn to implant in Jaime’s heart when she told him that it was she who murdered Joffrey – Oh, Olenna you will be so missed! (insert sobbing emoji)

And that’s it for you, Jaime – you’ve snapped the last thread of my liking for you and you can go to Hell in a handcart for all I care, just try to take your hateful sister with you! And another thing – don’t you dare even think about my beloved Brienne!

An excellent episode – even though the hubba did ask me dryly at one point why I’m watching as I hate so many of the characters currently in it. I didn’t reply – I haven’t invested years of my life not to see how it turns out, no matter how much the shareholders of Kleenex (other tissues are available) stand to benefit hugely from my tears of sorrow, anger and pure frustration.

Crashing on, our Jon (Stark/Targyan/Snow) landed on Dragonstone to be greeted by Tyrion and Missandei who seems quite buoyed up and is wearing a satisfied smirk. He sensed he was in trouble when he and his men were ‘requested’ to give up their weaponry even as his boat was being towed away by the motley troops of Barbie the Unburnt.

As if to make sure the King in the North felt more than a bit nervous and vulnerable, he was dive-bombed by a dragon – I think it was Rheagal – although perhaps it was more a case of the dear creature popping down to have a quick look at his namesake who doesn’t know – yet – that that’s the name his Mama gave him!

He met Barbie of the million titles – she told him to bend the knee – he didn’t, thank the old gods and the new, and he and Ser Davos demonstrated the folly of taking lessons in diplomacy from Lyanna Mormont when you actually don’t have the whip-hand.

Weird – Ser Davos is usually much better at winning people over with his frank and sensible conversation, but even he scored a bit of an own goal by announcing that Jon had taken a ‘dagger to the heart’ for his cause.
Thankfully, Tyrion later explained it away as a mere figure of speech, but Barbie didn’t look convinced. I think that’s what her expression was meant to signify – who knows?

I’m skimming now – she bores me to death without a dragon or three in shot – upshot is that Jon’s - eventually -getting his dragonglass (thanks Tyrion) , the two monarchs haven’t irrevocably fallen out, Tyrion and Jon had a nice re-bonding conversation while standing on a cliff and doing a bit of Poldarkian sea-gazing – and best news of all – Melisandre, having upset poor Varys, is sloping off before Jon or Davos catch sight of her and leaving Westeros! Hooray!

What have Red Priestesses got against Varys – they always have something spiteful to hint at whenever he encounters one!

Meanwhile in King’s Landing, the Pirate King – erm - Urine Greyjoy is being cheered to the echo as he rides, popping his eyes, gurning at the crowd and running his foul mouth, while dragging his captives Yara Greyjoy, Ellaria Sand and a Sand Snake whose name I’ve never known and now don’t need to learn.

Cersei has morphed into the very epitome of the Mad Queen, although nobody – especially that besotted sap Jaime - chooses to acknowledge it. It goes without saying that even I would have revenged myself on Ellaria Sand by giving her the same poisoned kiss as she gave my daughter, but the least annoying Sand Snake hadn’t done anything personal to Cersei to suffer such a terrible fate.

Maybe my faith in GoT is starting to waver, but it was just too much - Lena Headey is a fine actress but ever since she encountered the Popeyed Pirate, she, too, has tottered on the brink of becoming a cartoon villain.

Just saying.

Meanwhile – yawn - the Lannisters have conquered The Reach, the Unsullied (on Tyrion’s advice) have taken Casterly Rock and been trapped there by Popeye’s navy - and Bran has finally been dragged all the way to Winterfell, by poor Meera, who appears to have performed a lobotomy on him during their travels.

Why do I say that – well – he made no attempt to return Sansa’s affectionate greeting, has adopted a fixed stare, and only speaks in short and portentous sentences. She beat a hasty retreat when he started to give a monotonous account of her dreadful wedding night by way of proof of his now knowing everything there is to know – you did right, dear – stay away - everyone who goes near him dies!

Actually, now that he’s turned up and taken up residence in the godswood where no doubt, he hopes to be incorporated into a weirwood tree, why not have your men drag that slimeball Baelish in there and wall the pair of them up together.

And finally we make a dash to the Citadel, where Ser Jorah is miraculously clear of greyscale! Does the Archmaester praise our Sam, give him the first ring of his maester’s chain and instruct all the other maester’s to attend Samwell’s ‘Curing Greyscale the Tarly way’ lecture?

Does he heck as like – he gives poor Samwell the equivalent of several thousand lines by way of punishing him for using his initiative and finding a cure for a previously incurable disease!

Even so, Sam might be getting off lightly – Barbie the Unburnt may yet send a dragon or two to sear him when she catches sight of Jorah, the Old Stalker, landing on Dragonstone!

P.S. Oh yes – Theon Greyjoy got fished out of the sea by some of his countrymen – erm – why did they bother?

Last edited by Lucia : 01-08-2017 at 11:57 PM.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:02 PM
Miserable Old Boot
Imperial

Best. Episode. This. Season!

It's a pity I won't be writing about it, but enough's enough - I noted the 'hit' number last week and by my estimation over 400 people visited this thread since I posted the last review, but not one - not a single person - bothered to stop by to make a comment or even say 'Hi'!

Sorry - but if you liked it, maybe you should have said so - even we amateur writers have our pride!
Old 07-08-2017, 03:02 PM
Oscar & Freddie's slave! :) :)
Imperial

Oh my GOD!! I honestly thought I'd replied to your post last week, I'm sure I'd typed it out but it obviously didn't post!!! URGH!! I hate it when that happens!!

I remember my post went a bit like this...

I too HATE Jamie Lannister, I was in tears by the end of that episode but oh how I LOVED the way Lady Tyrell put that knife in at the end!!!!

I giggled when Jon Snow wouldn't bend the knee to barbie the unburnt! Go Jon!! And I loved his reaction when those gorgeous dragons flew overhead!

I REALLY hope Cersei the bitch from hell doesn't managed to 'spear' one of those dragons with that horrific piece of weaponry!!

And poor Sam!! What a way to reward him for curing Ser Jorah!!! I love Sam!!

I am looking forward to tonight's episode! Can't WAIT!!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com- Please click this link at least once a day to feed the animals
- it doesn't cost a thing!

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this."

Old 07-08-2017, 03:17 PM
Miserable Old Boot
Imperial

You'll love it, Andrea - it's all really great, but the last fifteen minutes is mega!

Also, I wasn't getting at you - my apologies for not making that plain.

You and Linda have been my sole regular chat-buddies from the start, which is a bit unfair to poor Linda who is kind enough to try to support me without actually watching the show, and I honestly didn't expect you to have the time or inclination to be commenting last week after the terrible worry you had with Freddie!
Old 07-08-2017, 04:01 PM
Imperial

Ahh no, I totally understand, your posts are great and I really enjoy reading them every week as you normally feel exactly the way I feel but you are so much better at putting your thoughts and feelings into words!! How I wish I had a way with words!

The thing is I did read your post and I thought I'd replied but I'd obviously not clicked on the 'reply' button!

Oh I'm so excited about tonight's episode!!

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com- Please click this link at least once a day to feed the animals

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this."

Old 07-08-2017, 07:19 PM
Imperial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucia View Post
Best. Episode. This. Season!

It's a pity I won't be writing about it, but enough's enough - I noted the 'hit' number last week and by my estimation over 400 people visited this thread since I posted the last review, but not one - not a single person - bothered to stop by to make a comment or even say 'Hi'!

Sorry - but if you liked it, maybe you should have said so - even we amateur writers have our pride!
Are you joking??!! You HAVE to write up! How do you think I can keep up? We don't have Sky. I did read you review, twice in fact as it is long and then probably forgot to reply. Last week was a bit over stressful...

Old 07-08-2017, 07:44 PM
UK Grand Champion

I do put my hand up to reading and largely forgetting to comment, I make no excuses but I am sorry Chris. I love the way you write and quite honestly it's the only thing that has actually gotten me "into" Game of Thrones. I still don't watch the series, I watched the Red Wedding and decided it was too bloody for me but I do read your posts avidly.

If you do decide to post again, I promise to make more of an effort and wait to catch up in HB till I am home with a sound connection rather than read on the train.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:55 PM
Imperial

Well well well! Wasn't that exhilarating!!! ! So do you think he's a gonner or do you think Tyrion is going to jump in after him to save him?

Oooh that episode really was epic. Brienna and Arya having their play fight, now that was brilliant! And as for Brandon Stark I just want to scratch his eyes out! God he's infuriating and so bliddy rude!

The ending was kind of bitter sweet though you have to admit. You can't say we won't miss him a teeny tiny bit!

Old 08-08-2017, 10:12 AM
Miserable Old Boot
Imperial

Wasn't it great?

I'm in two minds - I'm off both him and Bron at the moment because they tried to kill dear Drogon! :

Thanks for dropping by, amici - it's nice to be acknowledged, but although the piece is written, I still feel a bit pissed off and haven't made my mind up to post it!