Go Back   Cat Chat at Hubbell Bubbell > Hubbell Social Section > Book of Spells
Anglopets Gallery Cat Planet Vet UK
User Name
Password

Book of Spells Curl up on the sofa and join the Hubbell Bubbell book group.... Want to talk about Films or Television.. feel free to do it here....

Old 10-07-2018, 10:09 AM
Humble Cat Servant
Imperial

I'm preferring the London scenes to Cornwall these days, and they did put a law through in 1796 to try and help the poor, although I think that had more to do with Britain's greatest ever prime minister, William Pitt the younger, than it did with Ross Poldark

I'm beginning to think that Demelza is caught in a time warp. She never changes, she never ages and she's still stuck in her ancient green gown. Will she ever get new clothes ???????
Old 23-07-2018, 11:06 AM
Humble Cat Servant
Imperial

I am sooooooooooooooooooooooo enjoying this and am sorry that there's only one more episode to go. Not only was duelling against the law, issuing a challenge was against the law, so Ross could simply have taken the note to a magistrate and got him to sort it out, but we had the pleasure of seeing a really, REALLY, evil scoundrel get his well deserved come-comeuppance.

I suppose next week they will be back in Cornwall - can Ross and Demelza start again? (for the 20th time )
Old 30-07-2018, 08:13 AM
Humble Cat Servant
Imperial

Well - it looks as if Ross and Demelza are starting again - again!

I found the last episode quite bizarre. Last week we appeared to be in 1796 but this week it was apparently 1799 giving Elizabeth the longest pregnancy known to mankind.

Questions - why do the children not grow? I know this is tricky with child actors but they seem to be suffering from arrested development.

It might have helped if the scriptwriters had had a look at Wiki to find simple information on marriage bonds and licences. Drake and Morwena getting married by a 'special' licence and then having the banns read was just bonkers. There were 'special' licences but only for the poshest of people who could then marry in their drawing room. A simple everyday licence would have been the thing. This provided a quick marriage without the reading of banns for 3 weeks in church You do/did one of the other, not both.

Demelza's old brown dress must be about 20 years old now. Like the green one - it's wearing amazingly well.

I think my problem with Poldark is that the only characters I really only ever cared about were Verity and her sea captain husband. The Carne brothers are sooooooooooooo depressing I just want to shove both of them, and Morwenna, over a cliff.
Old 30-07-2018, 08:30 AM
Imperial

I did wonder about that too!

It seems that Tiny George has forgiven entirely, not only his dear departed wife, but Valentine full forgiveness. Is he next for the asylum? Standing at that grave, child Poldark in hand, he got that look...he's up to something.

Caroline is back with Dwight, ready to breed again, but now Tiny George is, literally, left holding the babies, will Dwight go bonkers and steal them?

Dopey Drake and Mewling Morwena finally got wed...THAT amount of sugary yuck would have put many a diabetic in a coma! And Ross, riding up and down Cornwall, trying to save the day?? He said he would like to go home...I'm sure the poor horse needed a break too, left on the cliff top all night nd well into the day without his girth loosened.

I'd like to add more, but the bus is due!