Go Back   Cat Chat at Hubbell Bubbell > Hubbell Social Section > Book of Spells
Anglopets Gallery Cat Planet Vet UK
User Name
Password

Book of Spells Curl up on the sofa and join the Hubbell Bubbell book group.... Want to talk about Films or Television.. feel free to do it here....

Old 27-06-2016, 11:13 PM
Imperial

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicey View Post
I am speechless!!!!!
Must have been brilliant!!!

Old 28-06-2016, 12:10 AM
Miserable Old Boot
Imperial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
OK I admit I've been lurking : I watched the first 2 series, then lost the plot (of the programme) then changed jobs and now spend hours on a train. I just love reading the write ups. Barbie the Unburnt made me giggle. How can she possibly be the mother of dragons, she's not remotely Welsh
You're always welcome on any thread, Ang!

Once you've moved and settled in, binge watch to catch up - you won't regret it, honestly!

Are you quite sure Barbie the Unburnt isn't Welsh - I thought she was a Merthyr girl!

I'll have to think a bit before I write the finale up - sooooo much happened my head's still spinning and it's hard to know where to start!

One thing I will say, though - I'm glad the kid Tommen (first of his name) managed to mutter a few words before he took his header out of the window - at least he'll get his full fee and not be stiffed with the salary accorded to a non-speaking extra like Rickon Stark probably was last week!

More tomorrow!
Old 28-06-2016, 10:47 AM
Miserable Old Boot
Imperial

Whew!

I’ve rewatched the finale twice and I still don’t feel as if I ‘got’ it all, but here goes – in detail for the part I liked the best and quick resume for the rest!

In an opening eerily reminiscent of the ‘Michael Corleone revenge sequence’ in ‘The Godfather, we got to see all of the major players getting themselves tarted up for Cersei’s trial, Cersei herself sporting what appeared to be a ‘couture’ black leather dress, similar in style to the tunics worn by the late, great Tywin Lannister for formal occasions. With a skirt, of course, which he never wore!

Did anyone – honestly – think she was actually going to turn up at the Great Sept of Baelor?

The High Sparrow did, silly old chuffer, he was having a wonderful time to a packed house, conducting the warm up to his big moment with Cersei by humiliating and scarring poor Loras Tyrell in front of his helpless bleater of a father and smirky sister whose usual smirk seemed to have deserted her.

On being informed that Cersei hadn’t even left the Red Keep, the HS dispatched Lancel Lannister and a bunch of assorted thugs to fetch her and Tommen, unaware that Tommen had tried to leave earlier but found a Mountain in the guise of Ser Gregor Clegane blocking his path.

In the meantime, just to give us a flavour of what was to come, that bumbling ancient the Grand Maester foolishly followed one of Qyber’s ‘little birds’ deep into the dark tunnels under King’s Landing on the premise that he was answering a summons from the King! Eh? He’s supposed to be a wise man, isn’t he? Didn’t he know Qyber was after his gig? I think it might have dawned on him when a flock of ‘little birds’, watched by a smiling Qyber, perforated him with daggers!

Flash to Lancel Lannister who had abandoned his fellow thugs and also followed a ‘little bird’, being stabbed in the back by said bird, and realising with dawning horror that he was in a tunnel packed to the gunnels with wildfire, currently held at bay by three small candles! Did he crawl, rapidly, away from the candles and try to summon help, warn everyone? Did he heck as like – he crawled (slowly) toward the candles!

Back at the Sept, the High Sparrow sat smiling smugly, but Queen Margaery was starting to suspect that her latest scheme had misfired – grabbing her father and brother, she tried to leave, but the way was barred by Sparrows.
Then, as Cersei Lannister sipped a glass of wine and gazed out from the Red Keep to the Great Sept, the Sept went up as if a greenfire nuclear bomb had exploded under it! It was MEGA – although I did feel a bit sorry for poor Loras!

And now on at a rush – Septa Unella might be regretting being such a bitch to Cersei while she was a prisoner – Shame, shame, shame!

Tommen the Dim, having gazed wordlessly at the devastation which had consumed his wife, took off his crown and leapt out of a window – at least he didn’t take Ser Pounce, his cat, with him!

I won’t miss him much and neither will Cersei, apparently.

Jaime Lannister didn’t seem to enjoy the Lannister/Frey victory party – I think it was old Walder referring to them as ‘two Kingslayers together’ that set the final seal to his annoyance! It’s no good pouting and looking reflective like that Jaime, I decided weeks ago that Brienne is too good for you, so you may as well stay on your path of evil.

Meanwhile, at Winterfell, Sansa the Untrustworthy made her peace with Jon Snow (?Stark?Targaryan) the Gullible, Petyr Baelish tried it on with her in the Godswood, and Davos – at last – got to shout the odds at that evil cow Melisandre re: the burning of dear little Shireen!

He was wasting his time requesting permission to execute her from Jon – he couldn’t decide between a Twix and a Mars Bar – so she was banished instead! Garrrgggghhh!

There was also some yawn time in Meereen, apart from poor Tyrion who hasn’t had much to work with this season, but still emerges from any scene he graces as a major player.

Speaking of major players, the matchless Olenna (Dame Diana Rigg) ate the Sand Snakes alive and spat out the bits – thus saving us the tedium of listening to their banal backchat - she is superb!

Another favourite – dear Samwell – finally got to Oldtown on his journey to become a Maester – and was promptly greeted at the reception desk by what appeared to be a distant ancestor of Basil Fawlty! I have to admit my love for him faltered when he entered the great library and his face took on that same rapt expression affected by my husband when confronted by millions of books!

Yet another favourite, sweet little Arya, seems to have crossed into Harry Potter territory and mastered the art of Apparating – she turned up, wearing someone else’s face, at the embers of the Frey victory feast, fed old Walder two of his sons baked in a pie, whipped off the false face and cut his throat! Hooray! Go Arya! Take that for the Red Wedding, you old stoat!

Am I nearly finished yet – I said there was tons of stuff, didn’t I?

Nearly done – Uncle Benjen dropped Bran and Meera off in what seemed a snowy wasteland and exited stage left, muttering something about not being able to cross the Wall! Erm – okay – how is Meera supposed to drag Bran the rest of the way?

Oh, who cares – finally we get another vision of what went on in the Tower of Joy! Lyanna Stark lay in a blood filled bed after what was obviously an emergency C-section carried out by a carpenter. Dying, she begged Ned not to tell Robert, who ‘would kill him if he knew’ and he was passed a very pouty looking baby to bring up as his own, thus incurring the wrath of Lady Stark who seemed to never have forgiven him for being unfaithful!

Heavens above – not only might Jon be a half Stark, half Targaryan, we now know that he was born looking disgruntled!

Segue from pouty baby to pouty Jon and another great scene at Winterfell, featuring everyone’s favourite feisty kid – the wonderful Lady Mormont – who tore a strip off the supposed Stark allies who didn’t turn up for the Bolton party and pronounced Jon Snow (or whoever he is) the King in the North! The others all cravenly followed suit, Sansa’s smile became rather fixed, and she exchanged glances with the fell Petyr Baelish!

Back to King's Landing and to nobody's surprise, Cersei is being crowned Queen with a sparkly new crown, watched by her brother Jaime who appeared to be wondering what he ever saw in her - serves you right, mate!

Finally, we saw Barbie the Unburnt’s armada sailing for Westeros accompanied by all three dragons – at last – after five effing seasons, the silly tart is finally setting off!

And now – sob – our Watch is ended – well – until next season!
Old 28-06-2016, 05:40 PM
Oscar & Freddie's slave! :) :)
Imperial

Bravo Chris!!! Love it!! Pouty baby!! I was thinking the exact same thing!!!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com- Please click this link at least once a day to feed the animals
- it doesn't cost a thing!

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this."

Old 28-06-2016, 06:52 PM
Imperial

Chris, I'm going to read that saga of a post later after dinner and the kids have gone to bed!!

Old 28-06-2016, 07:05 PM
Grand Champion

Chris, loved your recap and I will so be calling her Barbie the un-burnt going forward.

I truly hope my Jamie has seen Cersi for the what she is and will not become the honorable Man I know he can be....hopefully with Brianne's help. I do think the love for her died last night and he started to see her for what she is.

BTW....What's happened to Ghost? Surely he would have been with Jon at the Battle last week? Have they left him chained up somewhere? He seems to have disappeared without trace and no mention of whats happened to him.

Tracey

Proud to be owned by

RW TICA Supreme Grand Master & GCCF Master Cat Maximus Prime & RW TICA Supreme Grand Champion Alter Casey Jones & RW TICA Superme Grand Master Sullywoollydoodah

My Gorgeous special TICA Champion Alter Naughty Nero - over the rainbow bridge and never forgotten

Old 29-06-2016, 12:11 AM
Miserable Old Boot
Imperial

Hello, Tracey - lovely to 'see' you! I should have known you'd be a GoT fan!

I know I said that Jaime doesn't deserve Brienne, but I can't help 'shipping' them! I just love her! :

I think I read on 'Watchers on the Wall' that Ghost was meant to be at the Battle last week, but the CGI budget was swallowed up by horses, armies, Wun Wun and dragons! (insert pouting icon)

Ideally, I want Ghost to feature more and I want Nymeria to turn up again possibly with her pack, Arya and the Hound - and I want dragons, more giants and Jon Snow-Stark-Targaryan to marry Lady Mormont!

Oh, b*gger - I'll have to stop there or I'll be starting to write fanfic!

What am I going to watch for ten months - I'm missing GoT already!
Old 29-06-2016, 06:38 AM
UK Grand Champion

Fab write up Chris thank you, I'm off for a long break in Sept so will have a GoT binge then

Barbie simply can't be from Merthyr, not if she''s "unburnt" my celtic genes turn me red at just a glimpse of sun, Lord only know what would happen if I got close to a dragon
Old 29-06-2016, 02:26 PM
Grand Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucia View Post
Hello, Tracey - lovely to 'see' you! I should have known you'd be a GoT fan!

Oh, b*gger - I'll have to stop there or I'll be starting to write fanfic!

What am I going to watch for ten months - I'm missing GoT already!
I'm an uber fan, I am on a few forums and FB pages.

I also read a LOT of fan fiction, usually GoT ot Harry Potter (my guilty pleasure is Draco and Hermione, who to me were a match made in heaven)

I'm completely with you on the wolves, I was thinking that Nymeria should may now reappear as Ayra is back in Westeros, I really hope she does.

I love the idea of Jon with Lyanna Mormont (we need more of her next year, wonderful young actress) however I think it is unlikely.

Apparently there are only going to be 7 episodes in the next series (very disappointing)!

Tracey

Proud to be owned by

RW TICA Supreme Grand Master & GCCF Master Cat Maximus Prime & RW TICA Supreme Grand Champion Alter Casey Jones & RW TICA Superme Grand Master Sullywoollydoodah

My Gorgeous special TICA Champion Alter Naughty Nero - over the rainbow bridge and never forgotten

Old 30-06-2016, 12:31 PM
Imperial

Finally allowed myself to view this thread, l have held back til now because l am rabid about spoilers, l love this programme so much! Actually l like it more than the books, as they have been so artful at dramatising the plot, and Martin seemed to even be confusing himself by the 4th book. He lost me when he had to slow down and write half the characters in one novel then go back over the same timeline but with other characters in the next as the storylines had got so wide. This reminds me of the glory days of I Claudius only with a blockbuster budget for each episode. Cersei this week was magnificent in her triumph (shame, shame, shame) and even her one redeeming feature, her live for her children, finally dissolved in the face of her ambition and her bum finally on the Iron Throne.